With everything going on in the world right now, I just wanted to hit pause and remind you that there’s a lot of good out there too that we don’t hear about!
- Researchers at the University of Bath in Britain have developed a new and simple method for recycling plastic waste at room temperature! They hope the new process will help recycling become less energy intensive, and thus more economically viable. This new rapid chemical recycling process for polycarbonates can be completed in just 20 minutes at room temperature. Read more: https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/upcycling-plastic-waste-into-more-valuable-materials-could-make-recycling-pay-for-itself/
- A new study has found that cats and dogs may protect owners from memory loss later in their life! “Prior studies have suggested that the human-animal bond may have health benefits like decreasing blood pressure and stress,” said study author Tiffany Braley of the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor. “Our results suggest pet ownership may also be protective against cognitive decline.” Read more: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/cats-and-dogs-may-protect-owners-from-memory-loss-in-later-life-study-finds/
- A city in Germany has started saving tons of goods from the landfills! Stilbruch is called the “IKEA of used goods,” and every day items are dropped off from donations or from trash collectors on their routes. These items get cleaned up, repaired, and re-sold to support a more circular economy in the country’s second-largest city. They went from having 1 full-time employee to 70! “Used is the new sexy… We are trying to stop throwaway culture and wastefulness. There’s so much value in what we treat like trash.” Read more: https://theprogressnetwork.org/stilbruch/
- Students from five Chicago High Schools were surprised with all expenses paid, free college! Not only are these freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors getting the free ride, but one of their parents is too! The scholarship program is being launched by Hope Chicago, the nonprofit led by former Chicago Public Schools CEO Dr. Janice Jackson. Read more: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/kids-at-5-chicago-high-schools-get-free-college-ride/
- A church in England was facing a $56,000 bill to fix a clock outside the church that hadn’t worked in over a decade, so a 47 year old Cheesemaker and a 15 year old student decided to try tackling it themselves. “We found various dead pigeons gumming up the bearings. Some of the bearings were very dry. We gave it grease and WD-40 and managed to get it running,” Haywood told The Sun. What could have been an extremely costly bill for the church turned out to be an easy fix thanks to some WD-40! Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17762819/broken-church-clock-oil/
🎧 Listen live or catch up later on the Podcast!
📧 What do you think?
📣 Recent Discussions
- Should they let her move in?LISTEN: His son wants his girlfriend to move in with them as her parents are moving to the west coast.
- Should he cancel the subscriptions?LISTEN: His wife subscribes to many streaming services that she doesn’t watch.
- Should she be worried about being replaced?LISTEN: Her company just hired another person to ‘help’ her with her position…
- Is it okay to have a child-free wedding?LISTEN: This woman would like to have a child-free wedding, but her friend thinks that’s impolite.
- Converting Air Into Electricity, Solar Panels on Rail Tracks & MoreFrom a way to remove “forever chemicals” from water to magnet fishing landing a teen an internship here are some good news stories!
- Should she tell her husband what happened?LISTEN: Her brother in law tried to kiss her. Should she say something or leave it alone?
- How can they get him to wear a jacket?LISTEN: Their 11 year old son refuses to wear a jacket despite the cold weather.
- What should she do about the ‘hideous’ ring?LISTEN: She told her fiancé that she wasn’t a fan of his ring and he was offended.
- What should they do about this employee?Pete Kelly “We have an employee who is well-liked by our clients but doesn’t work hard. From my office, I’ve noticed that…
- 3D Printing Cells, Food Prices Dropping & More!From a DIY recycling center to an 80 year old couple finding love on dating apps, here are some good news stories!
- Does he need to end the friendship?LISTEN: He and his best friend used to date in high school and his current girlfriend is uncomfortable with it.
- Natural Meat Alternatives, Fighting Dementia with D & More!From a new hydroponic growing concept to lower gas and rent prices, here are some good news stories from this past week!
- Is not having social media a red flag?LISTEN: Her new boyfriend claims he’s not on any social media. Is that a red flag?
- How much should she charge her boyfriend?LISTEN: This woman wants to ask her boyfriend to move in, but he would pay more than he does now.
- How can he modernize their workplace?LISTEN: His workplace is stuck in the past and people are resisting change. What can he do?
- Do you know of a couple “living apart together”?LISTEN: Many married couples are now living alone. Is it a good idea?
- 3D Printed Batteries, Cheaper Insulin, Airbag Jeans & More!From a revolutionary new style of battery production to a new way to protect motorcyclists, here are some great news stories!
- Can they control where she lives?LISTEN: Their daughter will be a Junior in college and wants to move into an apartment with two guys.
- What’s important in a dating profile?LISTEN: What should you focus on when you’re putting together your dating profile?
- His fiancé doesn’t want wedding photos…LISTEN: His fiancé doesn’t want photos at their wedding. What should they do?
... see more of our recent discussions here!