With everything going on in the world right now, I just wanted to hit pause and remind you that there’s a lot of good out there too that we don’t hear about!
- Researchers at the University of Bath in Britain have developed a new and simple method for recycling plastic waste at room temperature! They hope the new process will help recycling become less energy intensive, and thus more economically viable. This new rapid chemical recycling process for polycarbonates can be completed in just 20 minutes at room temperature. Read more: https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/upcycling-plastic-waste-into-more-valuable-materials-could-make-recycling-pay-for-itself/
- A new study has found that cats and dogs may protect owners from memory loss later in their life! “Prior studies have suggested that the human-animal bond may have health benefits like decreasing blood pressure and stress,” said study author Tiffany Braley of the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor. “Our results suggest pet ownership may also be protective against cognitive decline.” Read more: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/cats-and-dogs-may-protect-owners-from-memory-loss-in-later-life-study-finds/
- A city in Germany has started saving tons of goods from the landfills! Stilbruch is called the “IKEA of used goods,” and every day items are dropped off from donations or from trash collectors on their routes. These items get cleaned up, repaired, and re-sold to support a more circular economy in the country’s second-largest city. They went from having 1 full-time employee to 70! “Used is the new sexy… We are trying to stop throwaway culture and wastefulness. There’s so much value in what we treat like trash.” Read more: https://theprogressnetwork.org/stilbruch/
- Students from five Chicago High Schools were surprised with all expenses paid, free college! Not only are these freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors getting the free ride, but one of their parents is too! The scholarship program is being launched by Hope Chicago, the nonprofit led by former Chicago Public Schools CEO Dr. Janice Jackson. Read more: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/kids-at-5-chicago-high-schools-get-free-college-ride/
- A church in England was facing a $56,000 bill to fix a clock outside the church that hadn’t worked in over a decade, so a 47 year old Cheesemaker and a 15 year old student decided to try tackling it themselves. “We found various dead pigeons gumming up the bearings. Some of the bearings were very dry. We gave it grease and WD-40 and managed to get it running,” Haywood told The Sun. What could have been an extremely costly bill for the church turned out to be an easy fix thanks to some WD-40! Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17762819/broken-church-clock-oil/
🎧 Listen live or catch up later on the Podcast!
📧 What do you think?
📣 Recent Discussions
- Good News: Grass Buildings, Kite Cargo Ships & More!Is grass a better building material than wood? Kites helping cargo ships? Read about some great news stories this week!
- Was her visit was really nothing?LISTEN: His girlfriend grabbed coffee with a guy she met online. She claims she was just trying to make friends.
- Should he end the “toxic positivity”?LISTEN: Everyone at his job is too positive and disconnected with reality. Should he speak up?
- How can you set phone boundaries?LISTEN: If you’re feeling overwhelmed with people always contacting you, how can you set some boundaries?
- How can she help her son with baseball?LISTEN: This single mom knows nothing about baseball and her son wants to get better.
- Good News: Battery Tech, Karma Cash & More!From the future of batteries being developed in Niskayuna to karma resulting in a million dollar payout, here are some feel good news stories!
- Is it okay to RSVP no to their wedding?LISTEN: His ex-girlfriend who cheated on him is his friend’s Maid of Honor.
- Can he tell mom to date someone else?LISTEN: His mother is dating a guy he knows that’s only three years older than him. What should he do?
- How can she change mom’s opinion of her daughter?LISTEN: Her daughter is a tomboy and her mother can’t stand it. How can she change her mother’s mind?
- Was he wrong to assume she was okay with it?LISTEN: After having a woman over, was he wrong to assume his wife was okay with an open relationship?
- How do you convince her that he’s not real?LISTEN: Her aunt thinks that she’s dating Jason Aldean on Instagram and refuses to believe otherwise.
- What can she do about her stingy job?LISTEN: Her new job won’t pay for any office supplies. What can she do about it?
- Can he ask out his son’s mother-in-law?LISTEN: He feels a connection with his son’s mother-in-law. Is it okay for him to ask her out?
- Should you push your partner to work out?LISTEN: Her partner has gained about 15lbs a year for the last few years. How can she encourage him to be healthier?
- Good News Monday – 1/16/23From Australia cutting plastic waste by nearly 30% to TikTok allowing another senior to retire, here are some stories from this week you may have missed!
- Do they need to sign the non-compete?LISTEN: They planned to leave their job for a competitor, and now their current employer wants them to sign a new non-compete.
- Should he move out of his parents house?“I’m single and in my mid-twenties, and I just moved back in with my parents. My mother recently lost her job and…
- Should he tell her about her boyfriend’s past?LISTEN: His sister’s boyfriend bragged about all of the girls he hooked up with in college. Should he tell her about it?
- Was he wrong to not mention her photos sooner?“I’m furious at my boyfriend for not telling me that a woman DM’ed him nudes 4 times in the last month. He…
- How much money would it take to move?Japan’s government is offering families in the Tokyo metropolitan area money to move to less-populated areas. The government is offering 1 million…