I want to try something new this week. To balance out the negativity you find on the news and social media, I want to share some good news stories either here locally or nationally, and I want to hear of the good things happening in your life too! Send me a message below with something that you’re excited for this week!
Albany High Wigs
From The Times Union: Every year, Albany High School students make wigs in their cosmetology course that are given out for free during Breast Cancer Awareness month.
Now that they have a brand new salon in the renovated high school, they’re hoping to get enough donations to run the wig program all year and expand to help children as well!
Students gathered Wednesday morning to hand-make a wig for the mother of two high school students. They spent almost an hour creating the wig strand by strand using real hair to fit perfectly on the mother’s head. By the end she was smiling and posing for selfies with her team of student hairdressers.
EV Battery Advancement
From Good News Network: Regardless of how you feel about electric cars, this is huge! A breakthrough has happened in electric vehicle fast charging battery design at Penn State University that enables a 10-minute charge time for a typical EV battery. Penn State’s college-based startup EC Power says, “The smaller, faster-charging batteries will dramatically cut down battery cost and usage of critical raw materials such as cobalt, graphite and lithium, enabling mass adoption of affordable electric cars.” Two of the biggest criticisms of electric cars are the charging times and the use of limited raw minerals, so these are huge steps forward!
Veteran Suicides Drop Sharply
From Good News Network: There’s been a significant drop in the rates of suicides among active military members from early 2021 until now. The declines come as a result of increased attention to mental health issues among high ranking officers and the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Across our military branches, the decline has ranged from 10-30%. For this, PBS reports, the services have been increasingly taking advantage of military chaplains, health and fitness coaches, and other support staff to support suicide prevention and mental health care programs.
On top of that, the Pentagon is working on filling a new force of 2,000 mental healthcare workers and to help continue to get rid of the stigma that some feel asking for help.
Rooftop CO2 Ventilators Convert Fumes into Fertilizer
From Good News Network: Scientists at Boston University created new technology that turned carbon dioxide pumped from building air vents into fertilizer to improve plant-growing conditions for rooftop plant-life. Not only does this reduce carbon dioxide emissions, but the spinach grown in the tests grew four-times larger than without the help. This could be a great way of growing and providing more fresh foods within cities. Rooftop farms and gardens are often suggested as ways to improve air quality, but conditions are challenging as plants are often smaller and less healthy because of solar radiation, wind, and drier soil.
🎧 Listen live or catch up later on the Podcast!
📧 What do you think?
📣 Recent Discussions
- What should they do about this employee?Pete Kelly “We have an employee who is well-liked by our clients but doesn’t work hard. From my office, I’ve noticed that…
- 3D Printing Cells, Food Prices Dropping & More!From a DIY recycling center to an 80 year old couple finding love on dating apps, here are some good news stories!
- Does he need to end the friendship?LISTEN: He and his best friend used to date in high school and his current girlfriend is uncomfortable with it.
- Natural Meat Alternatives, Fighting Dementia with D & More!From a new hydroponic growing concept to lower gas and rent prices, here are some good news stories from this past week!
- Is not having social media a red flag?LISTEN: Her new boyfriend claims he’s not on any social media. Is that a red flag?
- How much should she charge her boyfriend?LISTEN: This woman wants to ask her boyfriend to move in, but he would pay more than he does now.
- How can he modernize their workplace?LISTEN: His workplace is stuck in the past and people are resisting change. What can he do?
- Do you know of a couple “living apart together”?LISTEN: Many married couples are now living alone. Is it a good idea?
- 3D Printed Batteries, Cheaper Insulin, Airbag Jeans & More!From a revolutionary new style of battery production to a new way to protect motorcyclists, here are some great news stories!
- Can they control where she lives?LISTEN: Their daughter will be a Junior in college and wants to move into an apartment with two guys.
- What’s important in a dating profile?LISTEN: What should you focus on when you’re putting together your dating profile?
- His fiancé doesn’t want wedding photos…LISTEN: His fiancé doesn’t want photos at their wedding. What should they do?
- Should they let him play sports?LISTEN: Their son’s grades are slipping. Should they let him keep playing sports?
- Youth Rejecting Social Media, ‘Bad Fat’ Into ‘Good Fat’ & More!Pete Kelly From a great story of karma to designer handbags from old couches, here are some good news stories for you!…
- Her husband has been tracking her…LISTEN: Her husband has been tracking her location for years. What should she do?
- How can she become comfortable being single?LISTEN: How can you stop being a ‘serial monogamist’ and be happy alone?
- Should they keep training their coworkers?LISTEN: They’ve trained new hires for 5 years. Two have been promoted recently, but they’re still in the same position.
- Donating Powerball to Charity, Reusing Old Batteries & More!From “Right To Repair” gaining traction in the US to a new screen tech, here are some great news stories you may have missed this week!
- Is banning kids a good idea?LISTEN: Would banning kids under 10 years old improve the dining experience?
- Can you trust a 10-year-old with dinner?Pete Kelly “I want to start teaching our 10-year-old son how to cook dinner. This will lighten the load for my wife…
... see more of our recent discussions here!