From an effective way of removing “forever chemicals” from water to magnet fishing leading to an internship for a teen, here are some feel-good news stories from this week!
Researchers Develop Treatment that Removes ‘Forever Chemicals’ from Water
The University of British Columbia has developed a new technology to filter out and destroy “forever chemicals” from water! PFAS are present in thousands of everyday products and can lead to serious health issues. The technology captures up to 99% of particles and is being tested in real-world locations in British Columbia.
Newly Discovered Enzyme Turns Air Into Electricity
Researchers have discovered an enzyme in bacteria that can generate electricity from the hydrogen in the air, providing a sustainable source of energy. The enzyme was found to be highly efficient and the team believes that scaling up production could lead to a new field of clean energy. The bacteria that produce it are common and can be grown in large quantities, making it accessible for potential use.
Switzerland Set to Roll Out Solar Panels Between Railway Tracks
A Swiss startup plans on installing solar panels between train tracks. With their railway network stretching over 2,000 miles of track, they estimate they could generate 2% of the entire country’s power. Their co-founder of the company believes that 50% of the world’s railways could be equipped with their system, plus the trains could potentially be self powered using the panels.
Magnet Fishing Lands Teenager Internship
Recently magnet fishing has become popular, where people use high-powered magnets attached to ropes to fish for metal objects in the water. A father and son in the UK found a submerged safe containing around $2,500 AUD, expired credit cards and more while magnet fishing. They used the cards to track down the safe’s owner, who had it stolen during an office robbery in 2000. The owner of the safe offered the son an internship due to his impressive math skills. This story highlights the potential rewards of magnet fishing and the importance of honesty and integrity.
🎧 Listen live or catch up later on the Podcast!
📧 What do you think?
📣 Recent Discussions
- Should they let her move in?LISTEN: His son wants his girlfriend to move in with them as her parents are moving to the west coast.
- Should he cancel the subscriptions?LISTEN: His wife subscribes to many streaming services that she doesn’t watch.
- Should she be worried about being replaced?LISTEN: Her company just hired another person to ‘help’ her with her position…
- Is it okay to have a child-free wedding?LISTEN: This woman would like to have a child-free wedding, but her friend thinks that’s impolite.
- Converting Air Into Electricity, Solar Panels on Rail Tracks & MoreFrom a way to remove “forever chemicals” from water to magnet fishing landing a teen an internship here are some good news stories!
- Should she tell her husband what happened?LISTEN: Her brother in law tried to kiss her. Should she say something or leave it alone?
- How can they get him to wear a jacket?LISTEN: Their 11 year old son refuses to wear a jacket despite the cold weather.
- What should she do about the ‘hideous’ ring?LISTEN: She told her fiancé that she wasn’t a fan of his ring and he was offended.
- What should they do about this employee?Pete Kelly “We have an employee who is well-liked by our clients but doesn’t work hard. From my office, I’ve noticed that…
- 3D Printing Cells, Food Prices Dropping & More!From a DIY recycling center to an 80 year old couple finding love on dating apps, here are some good news stories!
- Does he need to end the friendship?LISTEN: He and his best friend used to date in high school and his current girlfriend is uncomfortable with it.
- Natural Meat Alternatives, Fighting Dementia with D & More!From a new hydroponic growing concept to lower gas and rent prices, here are some good news stories from this past week!
- Is not having social media a red flag?LISTEN: Her new boyfriend claims he’s not on any social media. Is that a red flag?
- How much should she charge her boyfriend?LISTEN: This woman wants to ask her boyfriend to move in, but he would pay more than he does now.
- How can he modernize their workplace?LISTEN: His workplace is stuck in the past and people are resisting change. What can he do?
- Do you know of a couple “living apart together”?LISTEN: Many married couples are now living alone. Is it a good idea?
- 3D Printed Batteries, Cheaper Insulin, Airbag Jeans & More!From a revolutionary new style of battery production to a new way to protect motorcyclists, here are some great news stories!
- Can they control where she lives?LISTEN: Their daughter will be a Junior in college and wants to move into an apartment with two guys.
- What’s important in a dating profile?LISTEN: What should you focus on when you’re putting together your dating profile?
- His fiancé doesn’t want wedding photos…LISTEN: His fiancé doesn’t want photos at their wedding. What should they do?
... see more of our recent discussions here!